Hugh Lane Galley - Dublin City Gallery - Dublin Visitor Centre

Hugh Lane Gallery – Dublin City Gallery

Price

Free

Location Details

Charelmont House,
Parnell Square N,
Rotunda,
Dublin 1,
D01 F2X9

Get to this attraction from City Tours

Bus Stop: 26

The Hugh Lane Gallery

The Hugh Lane Gallery, also known as Dublin City Gallery, was founded by Hugh Lane on Harcourt Street in 1908. It too is now known to be the first public gallery of modern art in the world. Formerly called The Municipal Gallery of Modern Art, The Hugh Lane Gallery houses one of Ireland’s foremost collections of modern and contemporary art and is now operated by Dublin City Council and its subsidiary, the Hugh Lane Gallery Trust.

The original collection, donated by the Gallery’s founder Sir Hugh Lane in 1908, has now grown to include over 2000 artworks which is perfect for you culture vultures out there. The museum now has a permanent collection and hosts exhibitions on a regular basis, mostly by contemporary Irish artists. It too is home to Francis Bacon’s studio which underwent reconstruction in the gallery in 2001.

The Gallery relocated to Charlemont House on Parnell square in 1933. The residence was commissioned by James Caulfield in 1765 and built in the classical style and is open to the public from Tuesday to Sunday. Closed Mondays.

For more information visit the Dublin Visitor Centre located at 17 Lower O’Connell Street or 118 Grafton Street or visit www.hughlane.ie today.

Big Bus Dublin customers – hop off at stop 26.

Back to Map

Price

Free

Location Details

Charelmont House,
Parnell Square N,
Rotunda,
Dublin 1,
D01 F2X9

Get to this attraction from City Tours

Bus Stop: 26