Dublin’s General Post Office
Located on O’Connell Street, The General Post Office (GPO) was the last of Dublin’s prominent public Georgian buildings to be built. Completed in 1818 the GPO still serves Dublin as a post office and a notable landmark.
The GPO is one of Ireland’s most famous building, and it’s role in the 1916 Easter Rising and leading position in the capital guaranteeing it’s high regard. The building served as the headquarters for the Easter Rising and building got heavily damaged in the fighting. The building’s facade is the only authentic remnant of the original structure. Heralded as a symbol of Irish independence the General Post Office houses a small museum on the buildings places in Irish life.
Big Bus Dublin customers – hop off at stop 1.