Dublin’s Tribute to Ziggy
Its been 3 years since met David Bowie met his untimely demise on the 10th of January 2016. The Starman’s legend and music lives on and his cult following grows bigger by the year. The Thin White Duke has a long standing love for Ireland and played here 7 times including headlining Slane Castle in 1987 as well sell out gigs at the Olympia and the Point. He also performed at a number of intimate secret gigs at The Baggot inn in 1991 and1997 Factory Studios in Ringsend. Anyone who attended the gigs have serious bragging rights! While Bowie is no longer with us, his music lives on and inspires music fans everywhere. If you are looking to celebrate his genius check out the following events at the Bowie Music Festival.
Top 3 Music Acts at Dublin’s Bowie Festival:
- Undoubtedly , the highlight of the festival will be the ‘Celebration of Bowie’ at the Olympia, there former Bowie Alumni including Dublin’s own Gerry Leonard, Mike Garson, Earl Slick and Carmine Rojas will perform.
- Other Festival Highlights include Crowd favourites Rebel Rebel who will be playing the Academy.
- Head to the Grand Social to check out the Heroes from Mars & The London Boys. This double bill will cover all eras of the Bowie songbook.
Best of the Rest
The festival has spread out across the city and events aren’t limited to gigs in Pubs. Festival Locations include The Science Gallery, Phoenix Park, Dublin’s Martello Tower.
- Enjoy a fabulous Bowie themed Brunch at La Cuchina in trendy Powerscourt Shopping Centre before heading up to Stephen’s Green Shopping Centre. There you can check out the incredible photographic exhibitions by John Rowlands and Brian Duffy. Sara Captain will be showing why she’s the arguably the most renowned Bowie portrait artist.
- The Lighthouse Cinema are showing Bowie Classics Labyrinth, Moon and the Man who fell from Earth, which will make it a must for all movie aficionados.
Now you have no excuse for sitting indoors and watching netflix! This eclectic festival programme is the perfect way to celebrate Bowie and the only way to start the New Year in style. Wham Bam Thank you Mam!